Saturday, February 28, 2009

*BONUS* My reflection on years to come in my life

To begin, six months from now I can see myself almost three-fourths of the way done with my bachelor’s degree at the University of Oklahoma. It will be September and I will be back in school for my senior year. I hope to have an internship during the year in Oklahoma City. I would like to have a boyfriend by then, but I tend to be picky so that might have to wait until after graduation when I have time for this. I can see six months from now will be a very anxious time in my life because I will be so ready to graduate by then. I feel like I will be living the same kind of life that I am now, but I will just be a little older and a little more ready to be out of Norman living in the real world.

In 3-5 years from now I will for sure be graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a bachelor’s degree in Public Relations. I would hope to be attending law school and be on the brink of graduating so that I would have a law degree on top of my bachelor’s degree. If law school falls through, I hope to be a new resident of NYC and offered a job at a magazine like Vanity Fair or at an event planning company of some sort.

It is hard to think about what will happen in 10 years and incredibly difficult to place myself 20 years from now and how much my life will have changed. In 10 years I will be 31 years old and most likely I will, if things go according to plan, I will have graduated and hopefully also graduated from law school. I also hope to be living in Manhattan with my husband and if I have anything to do with it, I would love to have at least one child. My plan is to be married by the time I’m 28 and have a child by at least 30 so that I will be financially stable and ready to start a family. I want to have a job either working for a Conde Nast magazine or to be working in law firm in NYC as a family attorney or doing commercial law. If there were not a child in my future, I would love for my husband and me to travel throughout Europe by the time I’m 35.

Twenty years from now I will be 41 and by then I hope to be running my own public relations event planning company and doing pro bono law work on the side just for something extra to do. My child, if I have one, will be 11 by then and hopefully we will be living in the Upper East Side of NYC so he or she will attend a preparatory school. I can see my family living a very fast paced life, but also there will be plenty of down time so that we are a close- knit family. By the time I’m 41 I want to have at least 3 different homes including one in Manhattan, another in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and the other in Vail or Aspen.

This would be my hypothetical life, but I know that life is very unpredictable and can lead you in many different directions causing plans to change.

1 comment:

  1. The next twenty years of your life sound like so much fun, and definitely a dream come true- to me anyway. Hopefully living in New York will workout for you because that would be such a great market for public relations, assuming the economy drastically improves. Granted the economy is horrible all around the U.S. However, New York City would absolutely have the greatest amount of opportunity for someone in public relations. I myself am a public relations major graduating this May, and believe me, the job market is terrible right now. At the same time though, you would be surprised to find that, although the economy is bad and the job market is the worst it has been in the past 40 years, there are still so many options to choose from. It is of course important to go for your dream job and whatnot, but at the same time do not forget that sometimes you have to take the lesser of best to get to the ultimate position. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete