Friday, February 27, 2009

**Race and Gender Stereotypes in the Media**

Here are my findings from the last couple of days!

2-19-09 7:55 p.m.
Friend’s apartment- Crimson Park
Tropic Thunder Movie
Scene with Robert Downey Jr. trying to act like a black man
Racial Stereotype


2-20-09 6 p.m.
Personal Conversation with my roommate Marisha at Pad Thai
We discussed why Asians are almost never the lead parts in movies or television shows. Asians are always stereotyped as the very intelligent, nerdy characters.
Racial Stereotype

2-21-09 4:30 p.m.
Friend’s apartment- Crimson Park
Deception- movie
The main character Wyatt Bose basically rapes his girlfriend. Because his character is all ready very dominating, I believe he was trying to show his power over her.
Gender Stereotype

2-24-09 5:45 p.m.
A shirtless Hispanic man was walking down the shirt and I observed a woman actually pull her purse closer to her as he walked towards her as if she thought he was going to rob her.
Outside by Gaylord Hall
Racial Stereotype/Assumption

2-24-09 8:30 p.m.
I was at Wal-mart and I actually watched a Caucasian Wal-mart employee suspiciously watch an African American couple look at movies in the movie section.
601 12TH Avenue N.E.- Wal-mart Location
Racial Stereotype/Assumption

2-25-09 4:23 p.m.- MTV Network
Britney Spears Fantasy perfume commercial
-The commercial actually states the man as the “hunter” and the woman was the fragile “goddess”.
Gender Stereotype


2-19-09
PR Research Class discussion TR 4:30-5:45
We discussed how there are more women than men that graduate with a public relations major, but it still seems that more men than women are top PR executives.
-It makes me feel like people who are hiring for these companies feel like they need to hire men for executive jobs because they are more capable of doing the job, and obviously this is completely not true.
Gender Stereotype


2-23-09
The Bachelor Mondays 8-9 p.m. on ABC
The bachelor is seen as a man looking for love, while many believe the women who try to compete for his love are either desperate or slutty because they are sharing him with many women
Gender Stereotype


2-23-09
The OU Law School
Race, Gender and Media on Mondays 6-8:50 p.m.
Took a tour of the Law School with the dean of students and before even going I thought the dean would be male and didn’t for a second think it would be a female. Secondly, I thought he would be a white male and Dean Evans is a black male.
Gender Assumption/ and Racial Assumption

2-25-09
Daily 10 on the E channel at 6 p.m.
The show hosts played a clip of a guy who discussed ads where white people rap to sell their products and how it can be racially offensive to some people and funny to others. The reason behind the segment is due to the fact that more people have been rapping in advertisements recently.
Racial Stereotype/Assumption

2-26-09
The View on ABC at 11a.m.
I feel like this show stereotypes women as just big complainers who have too many opinions on "mostly" not so serious topics. I feel like it makes women look bad, but this is just MY opinion.
Gender Stereotype


Reflection--
I can honestly say this was a very educational assignment for me because I realized things that I normally wouldn't even let phase me. I knew that there was a lot of stereotyping in the media, but when I'm just watching it without having to do an assignment about tracking it, I didn't realize the extent to which stereotyping dominates media outlets. I was in no way surprised with how much I saw and I came away from this assignment not wanting to watch television as much as I usually do. The day that I was walking down the street by Gaylord and noticed the woman pulling her purse closer to her as the shirtless Mexican man walked by, I was disturbed as to how our community automatically judges people just because of the stereotypes that they are feed to by the media daily. This man could have been a guy that just took a jog and got hot so he took his shirt off and just because the guy looked a little rough the woman all ready categorized him as as dirty Mexican who might swipe her purse. The sad thing is, I have noticed myself doing the same kind of stereotyping before. I remember I was in a really bad part of town before and I locked my doors and didn't feel safe in any way because I was by myself at night in a well-known bad part of town. Nothing happened, but I automatically took the precautions that something could have happened.

When I was watching that Britney Spears commercial, which I have seen a million times before, I never noticed how they describe the girl as so innocent and goddess like and the male was a hunter and very tough looking. It is true how the media stereotypes the male and female personas. I definitely see how the constant stereotyping that the media does has a great affect on the representation of ethnic groups and gender. I, myself, noticed that I have stereotyped people by the part of town that they live in. This is wrong and I know it, but because of what people have told me as I have grown up and the things that the media have shown me, I formed preconceptions about people.

Obviously, stereotyping is never going to end, but there are ways that we can make them less effective. My generation is the first step to stopping the stereotypes from affecting our future children the way we have been affected and the way that our parents and grandparents were as well. From my different findings, it feels like I found way more gender stereotypes and assumptions than I did racial stereotypes. Another thing that seems interesting to me that in our RGM class is that the girl to guy ratio is about 7:1. I wonder why more guys are not enrolling in this kind of class? Maybe because they aren't as interested in the topics we cover? Also, I also wonder in comparison to our class what the girl to guy ratio is in a class like Sport Public Relations? I bet I could all ready guess that there are probably more guys than girls. This is an example of me stereotyping just because guys are usually more inclined to enjoy learning about sports. I also wish that there were more women sportscasters on ESPN, but it is definitely a guy dominated channel and I don't think that will ever really change. I feel like from now on always going to notice stereotypes when I'm watching TV and movies. That is all for this week! I hope you all have a great weekend!!

-Christy

2 comments:

  1. Good questions.

    What is the male-female ratio in the JMC, would be the first question to ask? Then you can look at the number of males in our class.

    Locking doors and taking precautions is safe, not racial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christy, I really liked your post. First of all, I can see where you're coming from on the stereotyping people do against other races, etc. like the woman by Gaylord. It always reminds me of the movie Crash, which is a prime example of both gender and racial stereotyping. But it specifically reminds me of the scene in the car when the young African American is shot because he was pulling a figurine of St. Mary, I think it was, out of his jacket. The young white police officer assumed he was pulling out a gun. Granted, that is taking it more to the extreme than what you witnessed on campus, but it is the same principle.
    I would also like to comment on your section about Britney Spears. It made me think that if there weren't people out there, like her, and so many others, who simply played up these stereotypes against women especially, then would people really pay attention to these stereotypes? Would people believe them and act on them if pop stars did not act as such, or practically promote these stereotypes? There are always so many topics this could open up and it always makes me wonder what our culture would be like if we didn't have people like that for prime examples of stereotyping.

    ReplyDelete